A Roman restaurant in the historical center of Assisi, 3 minutes walking from Main Square and Santa Chiara curch. San Francesco Basilica in 300 mt far from us. From car park Mojano it only takes 5 minutes walking. A regional and ecletic cousine style with home made bread, pasta, local meat, mushrooms, black truffles, umbrian salumi, bio-vegetarian menù and much more. The wine cellar counts more than 1000 wine etiquettes from all over the world. An historical restaurant for a romantic dinner or a light lunch, we are the right choice for you wedding in Assisi in the “Renaissance rooms” with original frescoes XVI century.
This restaurant was built over a Roman settlement and the renovation of the basement rooms of the sixteenth century Cardinal's Palace allowed to discover some places probably related to the western area of the Domus Romana Assisiate. The most important finding was made in the rooms placed on the Western end of the Palace where it was unveiled a precious floor realised in the last decades of the 1st Century B.C. The floor was made in mixed technic, with a lithic-based cement carpet, decorated with original insertion of glazing pastes and small coloured pieces designing elegant paintings and geometric shapes. The long list of findings includes also pieces from the end of the 4th, 6th and 7th Century A.C. such as fragments of plates or other pottery. In 1549, the palace housed the Cardinal Bartolomeo Roverella, appointed by the Pope as governor of Assisi and Perugia. Then, it belonged to Bensi's Earls, an influential Assisian family whose best known member was Francesco Bensi, assistant and advisor of Clemente VII, Pope since 1523 who went down in history for not granting divorce to Henry the 8th thus generating the schism by the Anglican Church from Catholicism. Francesco Bensi is quoted in a famous sonnet of Francesco Redi where it is said that in Rome no decision can be taken without "Checco's" consent. The Palace was then owned by the rich and influential Fiumi Counts.